Journaling and It’s Benefits to Our Soul
Journaling is a flowing expression of the deepest parts of our soul and guided to the paper placed beneath our hearts. When you take the time to write down your emotions, feelings, longings, and deepest needs, a part of you heals and releases old matter that is not needed anymore. Writing for just 5 to 10 minutes a day, anytime of the day, is such a beneficial way to know ourselves better and for healing our broken spirits. You can write on a plain piece of paper or get yourself a nice journal to jot down your innermost expressions. This is a much needed practice in the busy world we live in today, where it’s so easy to forget our soul’s whispers.
Journaling encourages that creative part within us to come alive. When we feel blocked creatively, this can block and congest our healing centers. I truly believe that when we engage in something creative, a part of us reawakens and heals layers of pain, doubt, and fears. When we use our creative gifts and talents, our physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual bodies harmonize. True healing can occur on a much deeper level that we didn’t even know existed.
If you need something to inspire you to get your journaling and creative juices to start flowing, try one or more of these prompts:
1. What are you best at, and what do you love doing the most, and how could you spend more time doing both?
2. If you were truly yourself, and if you fully accepted and loved yourself, what would change for you moving forward?
3. What makes your heart sing loudest? What make your heart beat loudest?
4. What do you believe that no longer serves you? What do you believe that might be holding you back from living the life you desire?
5. What does love mean to you?
6. Where do you see yourself in 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months? Be specific.
7. What are the 10 smallest, most minor, most insignificant things in your life that you are grateful for?
8. What have been the 5 best days of your life, and why?
9. How would your life be different if you stopped living so much in the past and/or worrying so much about the future?
10. What scares you the most and why? How can you use fear to improve, learn, and grow?
11. What would you tell your 5-year-old self?
12. What are 3 things that you are looking forward to the most?
13. Who do you need to forgive, and why, and what’s stopping you from doing it today?
14. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and what’s stopping you from taking action?
15. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
16. What do you love most about yourself?
17. Who do you admire most in this world, and why?
18. Who do you care about most in this world, and what can you do today to make sure they know it?
19. What are 5 things you want to do before you die and how can you do one of them this year?
20. What advice would you give yourself 5 years ago?
21. When did you hurt most, and how has it helped you, taught you, or improved you?
22. What makes you feel happy to be alive, and how can you make more of that every day?
23. What truth have you been refusing to admit to yourself and how could you face it?
24. What 3 things could you give up that would give you more time, energy, and peace?
25. What do you love most about your life?
26. What one event in your life has changed you the most?
27. Assuming your life is a story and you are the author, what does your happy ending look like?
28. When are you your best, and how do you get back there when you feel unbalanced or unwell?
29. How can you improve the way you treat yourself and talk to yourself?
30. When was the last time you cried, and what did it teach you?
31. What is your personal intention for this year? What one word best describes your best life moving forward?
32. If you could invite 5 people, living or dead, to dinner at your house, who would you choose, and what would you cook for them?
33. What are the 5 most important things in your life right now and how are you prioritizing them, or not?
34. What makes you most angry, frustrated, annoyed, and why?
35. What is something you have never done, but always wanted to, and what is so important about this for you?
You may wish to keep a gratitude journal as well as a journal to express your innermost thoughts and feelings. You may decide to just start with a gratitude journal which has so many benefits to our health and well-being too.
Practice gratitude daily. Gratitude opens our heart and helps to tear down the walls we have built for protection in ourselves and others. Think of a wall around your heart and think about how you feel when someone in your life shows you some appreciation and kindness. I can visualize several layers of that wall falling down each time we show gratefulness and kindheartedness towards others and ourselves as well.
There has been so much research about the health benefits of being grateful. People that practice gratitude more often complain less of aches and pain and are more likely to take care of their health. Gratitude also improves self-esteem, psychological health, and mental strength, enhances empathy, improves relationships, and opens the doors to more relationships. This sounds like such an easy thing to do, and it is, we just have to be aware of it and do it as a daily practice. We have so much to be thankful for and focusing on our blessings rather than our trials blesses us and those around us. Remember, the best way to receive love is to give it!
Tell someone thank you for something kind they did for you, appreciate those that make your life a little easier every day, smile more, and give a compliment from the heart to a friend or stranger, and remember to thank God every day that you are alive another day to help, bless others, and make a difference in this world.
Write in a gratitude journal daily to cultivate this beautiful gift of life that we each have been given! Below is a link where you can purchase an inexpensive journal:
I hope that this article has encouraged you to think about starting a journal of your own. Journaling is a wonderful tool to reawaken your soul and transform your life.
Get started today and get to know the real beautiful you in a deeper and more profound way!
With much love and gratitude for each of you,