"Thieves" DIY Essential Oil Blend
Thieves essential oil blend has been one of my all-time favorite blends over the last 20 years! I love the medicinal anti-microbial qualities of this blend and absolutely love the way it smells. I was so excited when I found a recipe how to make my own blend and wanted to share it with you too.
Let me give you some background on this interesting oil blend and the history how it got the famous name “Thieves.” The story is told that, in the 15th century, the deadly bubonic plague was running rampant through Europe and Asia. There were 4 thieves from Europe who were robbing the infectious dead bodies of their jewels and other monetary possessions. Amazingly enough, they never contracted the deadly plague. They were finally caught of their robbery and were charged. After some inquiry into why these 4 men never contracted the disease, the magistrate offered the men a deal for a reduced sentence, only if they would reveal their secret how they stayed healthy being around the sick and dead bodies. They took the deal and shared their herbal knowledge and medicinal secrets of this specific oil blend. They shared how they placed the blend in a mask to put over their faces to protect from any airborne pathogens while breathing. They also applied these oils to their hands, clothing, and feet to protect them.
In 1997, Weber State University did a study that found Thieves essential oil blend to have a 99.96% success rate at killing airborne bacteria. These specific oils, especially when synergistically blended together have a powerful antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, anti fungal, and anti-infectious affect.
- Here is the recipe:
- 40 drops organic clove bud essential oil
- 35 drops organic lemon essential oil
- 20 drops organic cinnamon bark essential oil
- 15 drops organic cinnamon leaf essential oil
- 15 drops organic eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops organic rosemary essential oil
- Mix all essential oils together in a dark colored glass bottle with a dropper top (link below to order, or reuse a clean emptied essential oil bottle)
- This blend is very strong and can irritate the skin. If applying to skin, add a carrier oil like olive or jojoba oil to essential oil blend and then apply (use 1 tsp carrier oil for 3-5 drops blend)
*I have found that making my own “Thieves” blend is much cheaper than buying the name brand
Uses for Thieves Blend:
Apply to feet daily (especially soles of feet) to ward off illness, great during cold and flu season
Use in a spray bottle (6-8 oz water to 20 drops blend) and spray sick room or home to ward off airborne germs
*I put a drop in my palms as a natural hand sanitizer or to stimulate the senses (it can irritate skin if used without a carrier oil just to be warned)- make sure you keep hands away from eyes as well
Use in a essential oil diffuser in your room, home, or office to purify the air and make it smell great- 5 drops to diffuser water
Update:Are Your Skin Care and Body Care Products Safe or Toxic?